The Marsh Family

The Marsh Family

Monday, August 06, 2007

It's a new school year!

Last year: Showed up outside of the house and realized Katie and I were dressed alike - black skirt, white shirt.


This year: Showed up at school and realized Katie and I were dressed alike - black skirt, teal shirt.


Last year: Went outside to pick up students and was COMPLETELY overwhelmed, didn't know where to go, knew noone and nothing.


This year: Showed up outside to pick up students and was (still) overwhelmed, students from last year swarmed to me to kiss me, knew my place in line, and knew the names of my students already. (I memorize quickly!)


Last year: Got kids into classroom, parents wouldn't leave, started going crazy, couldn't communicate with children, completely lost about snack time.


This year: Got kids into classroom, parents still wouldn't leave, stayed cool and collected, started working with children on rules, etc. right away, took students out to snack early to get "our" tables.


Last year: Prep period began at 9:30, I headed upstairs where I saw my husband and CRIED.


This year: Courtney came down before my prep period to check in on me. Prep period began at 10:10, I headed upstairs where I saw my husband and had NO TEARS - only smiles and positive things to discuss.


Last year: Still lost at lunch time, had duty but knew nothing about what to do and had no help from others on duty (mainly because the other person with me was new also). Did not want to go back to class - wanted to go home...NOW!


This year: Students went outside and remembered where they sat at snack and automatically went there. Had lunch duty but was under control and now have lunch duty with Katie. Ready to get back to class to keep moving on.


Last year: Went home after school and had an "I have to get out of this hell hole" beer then had to drive to Ponce to pick up our new car.


This year: Went home after school and had a "celebratory" beer and am now relaxing!


Last year: Couldn't pronounce name but had some pretty adorable kids. Had a few pains in my butt but everything turned out fine in the end.


This year: Able to pronounce all my names and kids are still adorable. I have the smallest child I've ever seen in my life and one of the most adorable ones at the same time. I have a boy that if you're not careful you'll call him by the name of the lead singer from Guns 'N Roses and I have the Puerto Rican Harry Potter...according to Mrs. Oben.


What a difference a year makes!!! (Oh, in case you're wondering...Courtney's day went pretty well too!) :)


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

YAY!!!!!!! So much better! No crying!!!