The Marsh Family

The Marsh Family

Sunday, October 01, 2006

Guavate

Yesterday we spent the day with our housemate, Clate, and some other teachers up in the mountains. The Dills had to go to Ponce to get a different car, long story. It was very strange not seeing them all day because we've seen them every day for the last 9 weeks. Anyway! We drove about 35 minutes or so to a little barrio called Guavate. It's not technically a town it's just a neighborhood in the mountains. They've got lots of vendors, bars, pig roasts, etc. on the side of the road. We ate roasted pig (it wasn't the best but it wasn't the worst) and I did fine with that until I saw the pig and I saw them hacking away at it. I took a picture but I've decided that I won't put you through that. After eating we walked around and looked at all the vendors...something I need to do next time with our neighbor Katie because as you can guess shopping with 2 men means I didn't get to do much looking. They kept wanting to move on and I really didn't get to buy much. I went there with thoughts of doing some Christmas shopping and ended up getting a grand total of....TWO gifts. We were still waiting for the other teachers to show so we sat at bar and had a drink. Clate had a coconut with a straw stuck in it and then ate the inside. Courtney & I tried the fresh coconut milk but weren't that excited about it. We sat by the big dance floor watching the old people dance. We had been there for a quite a while and were actually getting ready to leave when it happened. The 2 words that don't really go together...Courtney & dancing. Clate had danced with this girl as had our friend Angel but Courtney is not thrilled about dancing. I tried to ask himt to dance...nope, not having it. Well, this girl walked over and asked him to dance and he DID! My hubby got on the dance floor and danced the merengue! I was so excited! I taped him the best I could on our little digital camera (left the camcorder at home...damn!) and I took a picture of him. After our day we came home and took it easy. Here are some pictures of Clate with his hairy coconuts, Courtney dancing, the road we were on, and the creek and buildings below where we were shopping and dancing.



No comments: